Monday, June 14, 2010

Thoughts on Mech Guard

Before I took my list to Blobs park, I got 6 practice games in.
I first played "Capture and Control" (one objective each player) to a draw. My opponent had 1 scoring model left and made a ton of cover saves. Oh well.

The remaining 5 games, I played using Blobs park missions and won. I found that when I went first or seized the Initiative, games could effectively end turn 1.
I want to flash back for a bit and go through my thought process in building this list.

The first thing I knew was that I wanted 2 Vendettas. As an eldar player, I saw a similarity between the vendetta and Wave Serpents/Falcons/Fire Prisms. Point for point, the Vendetta is in a class above the Eldar vehicles. Vehicles are a BIG part of 5th edition, I welcome the awesome anti-tank capability.

My next thought was "two vendettas will not cut it for pure Anti-Tank", I need more. Months ago I had ordered two manticores from Forgeworld and finally assembled them. Bingo. I will take two of these. Lets quickly discuss the manticore. The manticore is a force multiplying machine. It is proportionately effective the more vehicles the enemy has. At blobs park, it was not uncommon for a manticore to fire and be able to hit two vehicles at full strength. There were at least two cases at blobs park where I would fire, hit two vehicles, destroy one and immobilize the other. In a war of attrition, the manticore is an unparalleled equalizer.

By now, I have a good amount of non-infantry anti-vehicle firepower. Time to look for my needs elsewhere. Next up was the role of vehicle mounted, anti-infantry firepower.
For this role I chose two Valkyries (in a squadron) and a Leman Russ Executioner with Plasma Cannon Sponsons and a Hull Mounted Heavy Flamer. This vehicles would later be dubbed "The Sexecutioner" because it is a sexy, sexy beast of a tank.
The squadron of valkyries had an unintended benefit. Usually I have 1 anti-tank unit and one other unit embarked. I can choose which one to take single hits on. (downing the "other' unit if I like)
The Sexecutioner is responsible for more death on the battlefield than any other non-superheavy unit I have ever used. It kills Infantry, period.

With my Heavies and fasts maxed out, I need to focus on other mandatory things.

For psychic and deep-strike defense I took an Inquisitor with Psychic Hood and Mystics. (I know, overplayed. But at least I do not use a Tarot, so it could be worse.)

I took a Company Command squad with 3 plasma guns for killing monstrous creatures and small, remainder Infantry squads.
I took a vet squad with 2 meltas.
I took a Platoon Command squad with 3 Flamers, in a Chimera
Two Infantry squads with flamer, Autocannon, in Chimeras.
A special Weapons Squad with 3 meltaguns.

These round out my 5 scoring units.
3 are in Chimeras.
The Company Command, Inquisitor and Retinue, Special Weapons Squad, and Veterans all hitch rides in either Valkyries or vendettas (depending on opponent/Objective/etc...)

To round out the points? 2 Psyker Battle squads in Chimeras for eliminating non-fearless Deathstar units, with a secondary purpose of being able to ordnance Infantry squads. (i keep mine 7 strong, so no high-strength ordnance blasts)

That rounds out my thoughts on behind building my guard army.

Including playtesting and Blobs, I am now at
64W 23L 20D in 5th edition.

-Mike

No comments: