Monday, May 11, 2009

Games-Day 2009

I want to sum up this years Games-Day experience in 1 word, Disappointment.

The good.
-Well Air Conditioned for such a large amount of people.
-On site painting clinic with past Golden Daemon winners.
-Really interesting Clubs and Club tables.
-Free Cake.

The Bad.
-The only new model release was Kor'sarro Kahn, on foot.
-Nothing about planetstrike or future GW releases.
-The line for the store was about a 45 minute wait to pay.
-No GW sponsored Tournament.

I spent most of the day running our club table, which was active for the whole day (Apart from the first 45 minutes). I walked around a bit and saw some nice displays.
In all, I guess I felt a bit shafted about being given little to zero info on upcoming releases. It also seemed to be really themed to buying GW stuff and less about enjoying the Hobby.

I did talk to a guy who seemed to be remotely in charge. I asked him about the lack of tournament this year. He responded by saying that people complained about the tournament taking up too much of the day and that they were not able to enjoy the other things that GD had to offer. This sounded to me like a complete BS answer. If someone does not want to play in the tournament anymore, they can drop out. Also, they do have breaks between rounds. Weak.

Overall, the day was fun, but disappointing.
I think I may try to run a tournament next year.

-Mike

No comments: