Monday, May 24, 2010

What to do?

I forgot to mention previously that my recently failings at winning bring me to...
55W 23L 19D (in 5th edition)

I have two big tournaments coming up (Battle at Blobs park and the NOVA Open)
These events are both Fully-Painted, Fully-Based (FPFB) events.
Battle for Blobs park is in less than 2 weeks.
The NOVA Open is in August.

I have some choices of which army to bring. (Eldar, Guard, Sisters, and Blood Angels are the front runners as my Alpha Legion, Grey Knights, and Daemons are still mostly un-assembled ) Pardon me while I briefly list my thoughts on each.

Eldar - They have been harder and harder to get wins with. As one of the most outdated codices, Eldar have significant problems in terms of cost versus efficacy. (As an example, the Vendetta costs less than my Wave Serpents and performs their role MUCH better.) They are, however, mostly painted.

Sisters - Many of my key units are on loan to a friend for ard boys. This sucks, as they would be my current favorite.

Guard - I am updating my guard to become more mechanized. They are nowhere near painted (In fact, I am still working on assembly and waiting for some parts from ForgeWorld), it is unlikely that it will be ready in time. Unless the stuff from Forgeworld arrives very quickly, this may have to wait until the NOVA Open in August.

Blood Angels - I started playing Blood Angels when Codex: Angels of Death came out. The army didn't have their own stand alone codex until this year. My Blood Angels have always been played as slightly different Space Marines. They are certainly NOT updated for a modern tournament structure. I am also waiting for an order from GW...

So, I need to pick a direction and go with it. Do I build the guard hoping the ForgeWorld order I placed arrives in time? Do I spend time updating the Blood Angels hoping the models will arrive? Do I play my drastically under-performing Eldar?

Deep thoughts for a monday.

-Mike

7 comments:

Tim said...

Eldar, based on the fact they are painted and that we some xenos players.

Unknown said...

Do you want to borrow my guard?

Dameon Green said...

I 2nd the Eldar, 3 reasons..

1) Your good with it
2) It will work well with the listed missions
3) It's painted

Saint Omerville said...

I see you guys have glossed over the phrase "Under performing".

Matt,
Thank you for the offer. Maybe.

TheEC said...

Option #5. Play Chaos and borrow the models. We all know you're Satan and you're corrupt, so why not embrace it.

Unknown said...

Personally, I would try blood angels. They are new and dont have really any counters already established.

If the models dont come together, eldar should be the backup.

Marc said...

I say go with the Blood Angels. You have most of the stuff already and they are easy to paint.