Tuesday, January 31, 2012

N00b-Hammer?

A while ago, I was fortunate to win two Storm Ravens by winning a 40k league. Recently, I have begun to assemble them to clear some space in my "box of unopened 40k kits".

I also watched a 40k game yesterday that was played at the local GW store. It was Necrons vs. Blood Angels. One player had 10 or so Death Company w/Lemartes, and a Death Company Dreadnought, in a Storm Raven. This is sometimes referred to on the internet as a n00b-hammer.

A n00b-hammer is a unit or list either played by n00b or designed to thrash n00bs.

Similar units include Nob Bikers, Land Raider borne Terminator units, Thunderwolf cavalry w/accompanying kitted-out Thunderwolf lords, and other such nonsense that may crush an unskilled player, but will not cause even a bead of sweat to a skilled 40k player.

(I have played against many things like this in tournaments, and I surprise many opponents by sweeping the floor with them and their "deathstar" units)

Now that we have defined what I mean by the term, is there any way that these units could be used effectively.

Take the following list.

Librarian w/Shield of Sanguinius, Unleash Rage

10 Tactical Marines w/Lascannon, Flamer, Combi-Melta
Razorback w/Lascannon and Twin-Linked Plasma Gun, Dozer Blade
10 Tactical Marines w/Lascannon, Flamer, Combi-Melta
Razorback w/Lascannon and Twin-Linked Plasma Gun, Dozer Blade
5 Assault Marines w/Meltagun
Razorback w/Lascannon and Twin-Linked Plasma Gun, Dozer Blade
10 Death Company w/2 Infernus Pistols
Death Company Dreadnought w/Blood Talons

Furioso Dreadnought
5 Assault Terminators w/4 Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield

Stormraven Gunship w/Multi-Melta, Hurricane Bolters
Stormraven Gunship w/Multi-Melta, Hurricane Bolters

2000 points

I will be honest, if I am playing my Guard Army and I see this set up across from me, I am not going to be concerned, let alone worried. Same feeling if I am playing Space Wolves (with Long Fangs) or Grey Knights (with Psyflemen).

So. Clearly, the above is not going to frighten a hardened, competitive tournament veteran.

However, I really want to see and test if a list like this can work using conventional tactics (like reserves, move blocking, etc...).

I will ponder on this. If anyone has any ideas, please comment away.

-Mike

2 comments:

Leigh said...

it isn't that rock units don't have a place in competitive 40k, it's just that certain ones are so overpriced and inefficient that you are better of just spamming more MSU or whatever fits your codex best. While a 600 point units of Nob bikers + 150 points warboss is just asking to get its ass kicked, a more efficient 200 or 400 points terminator assault squad, in the right army, is a pretty good buy for the points.

Saint Omerville said...

In the definition I gave Rocks (TH&SS Termies) are not N00b-hammers. They become N00b hammers when paired with a Land Raider or Storm Raven.