Monday, July 14, 2008

Game Summary (5th Edition)

I took the list below to my Local Gaming Store on Saturday.
I was able to play 2 games.

My first game was against Michael (a member of my gaming club) and his Tyranids.
He had a large 20+ Hormagaunt squad and 3 smaller Termagant squads, 3 Fexes, 2 Hive tyrants, 3 winged warriors, 3 Lictors and 3 Zoanthropes.

The mission was the one where we needed to occupy 3 objective counters.

I got first turn, he failed to seize the initiative.
I split every tactical squad into combat squads, putting 4 lascannons in a central building that had great line of sight to all parts of the board. They, coupled with the multi-meltas were able to ransack the TMC's. My obscene amount of anti-horde firepower killed every non-montrous unit, save for a squad of 8 termagants. Terrain was not on his side, at the end of four turns, we called the game because he had one unit of 8 termagants, and I controlled the other 2 objectives.

The second game was against George (another member of my gaming club) and his Black Templars.
He brought with him 2 20-man (10 marine, 10 scout) squads, 10 assault marines, 8 assault termminators, the Emperors champion, a marshall, and 4 tactical squads between 5 and 8 men, with a heavy weapon. The game was an Annihilation, based on Kill Points. I split only 2 tacticals into combat squads to minimize giving up points. The run option really favored his army, allowing him to get assaults with the terminators and letting his assault squad and 20 man crusade squads run up the field. There was more close combat than my liking. Due to the new preferred enemy rule, the Emperors Champion and other squads were absolutely terrifying in close combat, one phase saw 6 lightning claw terminators (with furious charge) wipe out a 10 member tactical, before re-rolling to wound. The emperors champion consistently killed 3 things every single close combat round. Causing a unit or 2 to flee off the board. Luckily, my vehicles were safer from harm, making some key cover saves. There was only so much I could do to protect Rhinos and Razors... When all was settled, I had killed everything but 3 units with heavy weapons, I had left, 2 full tacticals, corbulo, both Rhinos, a razor and A ball pred. Easily more victory points, BUT I only had 7 kill points, to my opponents 8.

More fifth edition action to come!
This puts me at 1/1/1 on the W/L/D, which now resets for fifth.

-Mike

No comments: