Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentines Day Massacre

On Saturday, February 14th, I played in my gaming clubs Valentines Day Massacre (a three round tournament)
I, of course, took my sisters. I tweaked my list a bit from the one I posted here originally. I removed one of the Rhino squads and some Seraphim in favor of adding 2 10-strong, 3 storm bolter, walking sisters squads. This bumped my faith points to 11.

The first round was a take and hold kind of mission with exactly 4 objectives. You received 5 points per objective captured. I played one of my friends' "Space Angels" (Dark Angels using the new Space Marine codex.) fire power army. Lots of plasma cannons (like 6).
We did not cause all that many casualties to each other, the game ended in a draw because of one of his lone troops being a millimeter away from my objective...so, we each got 5 points for the first game.

The second game was a straight victory point game, right out of 4th edition. My opponent brought 120 orks in 4 mobs and a trukk carrying Ghazghkull and 10 unique nobs. He went first and got the trukk within 5 inches of my lines. The rest of the mobs moved and ran forward.
During my turn I decided that I needed to kill the trukk, I move 3 squads to within 1 inch of the trukk, I then destroy it during shooting. Despite my proximity to the trukk, not one ork was killed when the trukk exploded, because my opponent can place models where the truk used to be. The game ended there (basically) as I was unable to kill any nobs until the squad takes 10 or so unsaved wounds. I would lose around 2 squads a turn because of the inability of sisters to even come close to hurting Ghazghkull.
I lost, but only by about 300 VP's, so I got 6 Battle points while my opponent got 14.

Third game was against an all drop podding Space Wolves army, my opponents list was thankfully not as bad as I imagined. I chose not to deploy anything on the board, depriving him (and me) of any first turn fire. He dropped his units kind of close to my side as the objective was to control a marker in the center of the table. With my mobility, I was able to come in and FLAME the crap out of his units, sometimes killing entire squads with my firepower. In the end, he had one model in the center and I had 2 scoring units, so I happened to win 15 battle Points. I also got an extra 5 for killing his main HQ, a wolf lord.

In all I came in third, but I also received "best army" based on my painting, conversion work, and forgeworld doors. It was a great time and a great day.

-Mike

2 comments:

Tigerstyle said...

Nice blog, I'm just having a look at the list you used for this tourney as I'm building a WH army myself. Do you think that Inquisitorial ST's have a place as small, cheap units for holding objectives in a WH list?

Saint Omerville said...

Unfortunately Chris, Stormtroopers have no place in a WH army! SoB's are just SO much better for a mere point per model.

-Mike