Friday, May 6, 2011

Analysis of Razorspam

As you can undoubtedly tell by Battle Report 3 (BR3), I am kind of a n00b when it comes to playing Razorspam. I have been using Rhinos since they were extremely effective in 3rd edition. I love the Rhino, but the Razorback is a foreign tank to me. I definitely did not use it well in BR3.

The game was a Spearhead Annihilation against psycannon heavy Grey Knights, an army that is excellent in hanging out at midfield and kicking ass. I tried to rely on three things to win this game, 1)The range of my predators and Las/Plas Razors to kill terminators, 2) my assault cannons to open up the Rhinos, and 3) My flamestorm cannons to roast Power Armored Infantry.

This, obvious to me now, did not work out. The reasons are as follows.
  • The Grey Knights began the game at midfield, where they are the strongest.
  • Every Infantry squad outmatches me in killing power. Psycannons are better at killing Razors than Assault Cannons are at killing Terminators.
  • I actually could not out shoot the Grey Knights, nor would I ever be able to out-assault them.
So, the above factors left me in kind of a bind. Many of my Razorbacks spent the game unable to shoot before they were finally killed. The Baal predators became sacrificial units (albeit VERY expensive ones, compared to what they killed).

Tactically, I could have done a few things differently. I could have put my predators in the front to screen my razorbacks, the psycannon is not nearly as effective against the front armor of a predator as it was against the razors. This might have given my Razorbacks more chances to fire. The predators did not perform greatly, perhaps I was too static with them. I do not think it would have been enough though. I think I need a modify my list a bit.

The flamestorm cannons need to go. I need TLAC/HB Baals. I need the ranged anti-Infantry firepower. I decided to drop the Melta squad in TLAC razorback. With the points I save I am able to convert both Baals to TLAC/HB and get another Flamestorm Baal.

I will try to playtest this configuration over the weekend to see how it fares.

-Mike

1 comment:

Gramps said...

I think your list changes would help. Tactically, I think target selection becomes more important. Only fire on the terminators with the AP2 (which you did) and focus the rest on the Purifiers as they are still just marines. Keep in mind I may a rediculous amount of 5+ invulnerable saves.

My only other recommendation that you didn't list is to use your mobility to overload one of my flanks. With only 24" range I'm going to have to move my other flank in order to shoot you, thus reducing the # of shots.

Regarding Razorbacks, I feel your pain. I have yet to use them well.