Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Thoughts on the Blood Angels Stormraven


Fuck yeah!!

Recently I was gifted with two Stormravens as part of a prize package. I plan to incorporate them into my Blood Angels forces. I have a few questions. How do I use them? What options should I give them?

Let us first brainstorm how they can be used. To me, it feels that if I put ANY unit inside of one, the Stormravens become an instant target. The lure of killing a 200+ point model and making a (probable) 200+ point unit walk is too good a choice to pass up for any opponent. I cannot, in good conscience, use them as transport vehicles, especially not for expensive, ass-kicking units.
My other option, and one that appeals to me, is to use them as their full name suggests, as a Stormraven Gunship.

So, what are the best options for a gunship?
Let's start by listing what it is already equipped with.
Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter (36" S5 AP4 Heavy 3)
Twin-Linked Assault Cannon (24" S6 AP4 Heavy 4, Rending)
Four Bloodstrike Missiles (72" S8 AP1 Heavy 1, One-shot)
It has power of the Machine Spirit

And now the options.
  • Replace Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter with Twin-Linked Multi-Melta (free) or Typhoon Missile Launcher (moderate cost)
  • Replace Twin-Linked Assault Cannon with Twin-Linked Plasma Cannon (free) or Twin-Linked Lascannon (free)
  • Take Side sponsons with Hurricane Bolters (moderate cost)
So, it looks like we have two armament options.

  1. Typhoon Missile Launcher, Twin-Linked Lascannon (225 points)
  2. Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Twin-Linked Multi-Melta, and Hurricane Bolters (230)
The first option is used as a standoff anti-tank platform. It can put out 2 S8 AP3 and 1 TL S9 AP2 shots a turn at different targets when moving 12 or less. If it moves less than 12, it can also add Bloodstrike missiles.

The second option is used as a close range platform that can engage Vehicles, Monstrous Creatures, or Infantry. It can put out 6-12 TL S4 AP5, 4 TL S6 AP4 rending, and a TL S8 AP1 melta shot a turn at two targets when moving 12 or less. If it moves less than 12, it can also add Bloodstrike missiles.

Which of these I decide upon will be based on the lists that I include them in. I will crack the boxes open sometime to see if full magnetization is possible.

-Mike

1 comment:

TheEC said...

Love the picture.