Thursday, May 12, 2011

Thoughts on Bubblewrapping Imperial Guard

In my quest to playtest the hell out of my imperial guard list, I find that there are some issues with the list.
I was always worried about armies that Deep Strike MEQ infantry right into me. When I played this list at 2k, it was back before Grey Knights when I still had access to cheap, awesome, Deep Strike defense. I have since lost that particular form of defense (I am talking about Mystics, of course). I has assumed that I could instead reserve everything and come out blazing in firepower. After some practice games, I found out that reserving was not a viable option.

I need to find an in-game alternative. The alternative needs to fulfill the following goals.
  • Keep enough distance so that meltaguns do not get 2d6 pen versus my tanks.
  • Be able to cover a good distance
  • Be able to take an assault and lose gracefully. (i.e. lose consistently)
I though hard about this and decided that I am going to take a stab at a 20-man conscript squad for bubble-wrapping my vulnerable tanks. (Vulnerable to assault and short ranged melta)

This squad (at 80 points) is cheap, they can cover 58 inches of the board and their woeful ld5 means that they will likely break from combat, even if they lose by 1.

I am going to try some different deployment options with these guys and hopefully post what I have accomplished.

-Mike

2 comments:

Dameon Green said...

Why not attach a high leadership stubborn Commissar Lord? Still not an expensive HQ, and means they hold vs breaking and give you a huge protective bubble that does not vanish the first time they get hit with a 25% break test or a charge by a 5 man MEQ.

Saint Omerville said...

I will tell you why.

Turn 1: Enemy kills conscripts, wins fight, conscripts stay. During my shooting phase, they cannot be targeted.

Turn 2: Kill Commissar. Conscripts likely break. Then they run into me. I lose game. Tears ensue.

-Mike