Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Battle at Blobs Park

This past weekend I attended the "Battle at Blobs Park", a 2000 point Warhammer 40,000 tournament.
Blobs park is a German Biergarden (Beer Garden). The tournament was in a pavilion, and unlike last year, was held in September, not early (HOT) summer.

I took the exact same list that I had taken to NOVA. Imperial Guard.

I played 4 games going 3-1. I am not going to do battle reports from this, nor am I going to post lists (a couple I do not even have).

First game I faced a similar Guard army in "Capture and Control", something neither of s were going to win. My opponent and I seemed to be playing for a Draw since neither of us really moved up on the other. At the end of 6 turns, we drew.
We then found out that Draws are not possible, and VP's was the tiebreaker. I was a little annoyed that this was not in the mission packet, but oh well. I lost on VP's by a pretty comfortable margin.

I then faced Orks in a Spearhead Kill Points mission. My opponent Mike Hoffman was a cool guy, but knew the game was likely over before deployment. We traded firepower and I killed all of his light vehicles and a bunch of orks putting me up on Kill Points.

Round 3, I faced the ringer! I believe his name was Duncan(?), he had a pretty generic Space Wolves list. Long Fangs, Wolf Scouts, Grey Hunters, and two Rune Priests. The mission was a Dawn of War, 5 Objective Seize Ground. Long story short, he won the roll-off and chose to go first. At the top of turn 6, he had three objectives to my two. During my movement phase, I contested his three and the game ended.

In the Final round, I played against a local guy playing Chaos Space Marines in a Pitched Battle, board quarters. (A stupid mission in 5th, IMO) His army was not outfitted for 5th edition or tournament play. He became frustrated with his inability to decimate me with only one real anti-tank unit. He mentioned that he had not really played since 3rd edition; he became more frustrated when he learned of 5th edition rules, specifically the rules for assault. He conceded Turn 5, after I had decimated most of his Army.

Blobs was a great time because of the Food, Beer, and meeting up with local and not-so-local 40k players. The missions were crap in my opinion. The tournament billed itself as a "NOVA Format", but yet it used Battle Points. It was possible to lose a round and yet get more battle points than your opponent. I hate this format.

For the second year in a row, a guy went 4-0 and got nothing. Meanwhile a 3-1 guy won best overall. (Not that either are upset about it, nor am I)

It is funny to note that last year I went first in all of my games, this year I went second in all of my games. The one round where I won the roll-off, my opponent seized the initiative.

-Mike

2 comments:

Gramps said...

I agree with you on the scoring. I can live with battle points if the loss had been worth 0 points and the win worth 14. At least then there is separation.

These can be fixed next year (hopefully). But, its only the 2nd year for the tournament, so there is a bit of growing pains.

Next year, I need to find a designated driver. :)

Unknown said...

If you don't like table quarters, what sort of mission would you prefer for a tournament setting?