Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Escalation League Round 3: Week1

Our escalation league went to 1000 points.
I opted to forgo my Eldar for the escalation league (they are and were always meant for Apocalypse, I have no need to purchase units I never intend to use)
With that being said, I resurrected my long dormant AIIG (All Infantry Imperial Guard)

1000 points.
HQ
senior officer, medic, standard.
3 missile launchers
3 missile launchers
3 mortars
3 mortars

Infantry platoon
Junior officer with boltgun, 2 plasmas, light infantry
10 guard with plasma, light infantry
10 guard with plasma, light infantry
5 remnants with Flamer, light infantry

Infantry platoon
junior officer with mortar
10 guard with plasma
10 guard with missile launcher
10 guard with missile launcher

Boom 1000 points.
8 scoring units. (yikes)
16 kill points (yikes)

The first battle was an Apocalypse game. Someone on our team brought a warhound. Someone else brought a malcador and a baneblade variant. The other team was simply outmatched. I will not go into the specifics, but it was called after turn 3. (One great thing that came from the Apoc game was a rule invented by our league organizer about objectives, I will get to this later)

For the second game, I played a Dark Angels (using the SM codex) player. The mission was capture the flag, or as we call it, "capture the draw" as it almost always ends in a draw.

So, he had a lot of space marine infantry, so I let him set up first (im very clever). I knew he would spread out too much over the board, as a result of my refused flank, 2 plasma cannons did not fire until turn 4.
*Mathhammer takes over
So the game went with us blasting each other with blast weapons. I was using frag missiles and mortars, he was using frag missiles and plasma cannons. Luckily for me the "most inaccurate blast weapon in the game" proved to be just that, the plasma cannons did little damage to me. (He had 3 that could fire from turn 1)

Some awesome highlights were his librarian using the gate of infinity to roll closer to my objective. When he got close, he charged, and was beaten down by a squad of Infantry Guard (Go close order drill !!!1!!one) The game ended unexpectedly on turn 5 with him having ONE scoring model on the board, that model happened to be on the objective. A draw for the guard.

The second game saw me face a horde of 70 orks. 60 boys, 10 nobs, a warboss and a battlewagon. Damn. Lucky for me, I had 94 guardsmen, and the emperor on my side.

The mission was loot counters, 3 of them. I started with 2, he started with 1. He began by rolling his battlewagon right towards my lines. Like the Veteran I am, I ignore it and focus on frag blasting scoring units. Frag missiles and Mortars absolutely PUMMEL hordes of orks (when they are not in cover) so, I had that going for me. I was able to fire my lasguns/frags first to thin the hordes down and then the mortars so my opponent got to take pinning tests for his mobs. All of his mobs failed at least one pinning test. This however, allowed the battlewagon to get dangerously close and assault my lines with 10 nobs and a warboss; everything they charged got shredded. Between close combats I was able to whittle down the 4+ save, Feel no Pain unit of nobs. (krak missiles helped) eventually, the mob dwindled to 5 models, and they failed their break test. The only thing left when we called it was my opponents immobilized battlewagon (which I had little chance of destroying)

So, I am liking the AIIG army.

-Mike

No comments: