Friday, November 7, 2008

Thoughts in AIIG (All Infantry Imperial Guard)

I played 2 games with my AIIG at 1000 points last weekend. This army presents some unique challenges in 5th edition. I would like to outline them for my loyal reader.

The AIIG is an odd army that uses a TON of cheap troops. The benefit to this is to have a lot of scoring units, the downside is that AIIG hemorrhages kill points. In my standard 55 point junior officer command squad, i give 2 kill points for its destruction. That is 5 T3 5+ Sv models for 2 kill points...wowch. (wow + ouch =wowch, tell your friends.)
In missions that are objective based, the guard does pretty well, solely by having so many scoring units. (in 1000 points I have 8 scoring units) In the kill point mission, I give up 16 kill points. So, in a kill point missions, it is unlikely that I will ever be able to amass more kill points than my opponent. (unless I am playing against an AIIG list) Ergo, my goal in a kill point mission is to wipe my opponent off of the table (which will be difficult).

Now for some pointers when making an AIIG list.
-In Infantry squads, take either a special weapon or a heavy weapon, never both. Doing this clearly defines the squads role on the battlefield. Heavy weapon squads sit back on objectives, special weapon squads move forward to claim them. Leave the tactical flexibility to the Space Marines.
-The Missile Launcher is the Heavy Weapon of choice, for several reasons. It is incredibly versatile, able to hurt/kill anything in the 40k universe. It is either more effective or cheaper than heavy wepaons that perform a similar role.
-Avoid the heavy use of doctrines. Sharpshooters, Carapace Armor, Cameloline, etc... are a colossal waste. Iron discipline, close-order drill, and drop troops are low cost and effective. Light Infantry is a good doctrine because it allows units to use the outflank rule (through infiltration)
-Chimeras are overpriced and should never be used, for any reason, no matter how good you think that they are.
-With the popularity of the Powerfist armed Space Marine Sergeant, Ogryns are still a bad choice because they are instant-killed so easily.
-Commissars and Priests are still a bit costly.

Now for some sweet, sweet tactics.
-This is a game of attrition and mathhammer. 5th edition gives cover saves to pretty much everyone. this increases our "armor save" by 16.67% and gives us a save of 50% against small arms fire that usually ignores our armor save. A prolonged fire fight almost favors guard (provided you bring enough firepower) Letting loose with 3 frag missiles from an anti-tank squad is awesome and can cause a lot of wounds. (I wounded 8 Space Marines once) There is almost no reason to fire krak missiles at enemy infantry.
-Unless there is a Tau fire warrior within 6 inches, you should NEVER charge. Trust me.

So, as I take this list forwards I will post more glorious stuff.

-Mike

No comments: