Monday, November 17, 2008

Escalation Round 3: Week 3

So, I broke out the AIIG for another couple games of the escalation league. I played 3 games.

The first game was a loot counters mission, against one of the odd ork build lists. My opponent had a warboss and a unit of nobs in a looted wagon, 10 ork bikes and Wazzdakka Gutsmek. There were 3 objectives on the table. This battle was difficult due to the high toughness of the bikers and the 2-wound FNP nobs. This boiled down to a huge battle of attrition near the objective on my side of the board, at the end of the game, I had 2 scoring units on the objectives in the middle of the board. When the game ended, the looted wagon was contesting the 3rd objective. A win for the guard.

Next up was an Annihilation mission against a khornate-lash list. My opponent had a daemon prince with Lash, Kharn, 2 units of 8 berzerkers in Rhinos, and a Vindicator. 7 Kill points starting. I was not going to win a battle of attrition, i needed to wipe him out. I cornered myself on the right-ish side of my tabke edge, my opponent deployed across from me. His first turn he rushed everything forward 12 inches and popped smoke on all of his vehicles. I was able to destroy 1 rhino and wound the daemon prince once (he also wounded himself on a perils of the warp). The next turn saw me destroy the other rhino, and despite the many wounds I did with the rest of my army, I could not make the marines fall in any great way. The daemon prince charged my command squad, whiffed, lost a wound and failed his save for being fearless. Kharn, his squad, and the other berzerker squad plowed into my lines. I pulled the classic, feed a unit, let them die, shoot the survivors and managed to kill everything save Kharn and the Vindicator. My opponent, who was now up on kill points, hid Kharn and his Vindicator out of LoS, thus the game was lost for the guard, despite having a 25:1 model ratio on the board. The mandatory junior officer/4 guardsman 2 kp units are a killer for us.

The next game, I played another Annihilation mission against a horde ork player. He had 4 squads of 30 orks, a warboss, and 4 kannons (in squads of 2)

I let him go first so that I could infiltrate. (I messed this rule up, and I think it was a major factor in the game. I was under the impression that for infiltrators to use their rule I had to set up last , this is actually an Apocalypse rule)
Well, in his first turn he wasted no time, running all units towards my lines. The cannons, in a rare display of scatter-accuracy, caused 12 hits on my mortar teams, killing 5. A big part of my anti-horde went out the window. I pulled my classic get assaulted, counter fire... But to no avail. My 10 man guardsmen squads could usually only manage 1-2 casualties per firing attempt. I was overrun and called the game on the top of turn 5. ( I had killed close to 70-80 of the orks)

So the AIIG are undefeated in objective missions (draws are not losses), but remain horrible in kill point missions...
1-2-0 for the weekend.

-Mike

No comments: