Wednesday, December 29, 2010

ICGL Mechdar Games

Two of my opponents are playing Guard (I surmised a likely Mech list). Both of the games feature a "Dawn of War" deployment, which is not suited for Footdar. I bought the Mechdar against these individuals.

Opponent week 1: Spencer Wilkins (you may have seen him in the back of older copies of "White Dwarf" magazine)
Mission: Capture and Control, Dawn of War
List: Mechanized Imperial Guard (from memory)
-CCS, 4 melta, Chimera
-Veterans, 3 melta, Chimera
-Veterans, 3 melta, Chimera
-Veterans, 3 melta, Chimera
-Veterans, 3 melta, Chimera
-5 Ogryns, Chimera
-5 Ogryns, Chimera
-Manticore
-2 Medusae
-3 Hydra Flak Tanks

Battle: Neither of us deployed anything, Spencer gave me 2nd turn.
So, his line of Metal moves on, I rock a refused flank to the left (where his objective his), and ignore mine (midfield-ish) because I can return to it whenever I like.
Fire Prisms in front, real units in the rear.

His ordnance was basically useless to him the entire game (due to Wave Serpents having the awesome energy shield, which made them all very tough to fire missile launchers)
I had no choice but to get semi-close, to try and hit him with the ol beltway jam. (Immobilizing/stunning/wrecking vehicles in front to "jam" the opponent on his edge, named, by me after I-495 in MD/DC/VA)
He wisely moved his Chimeras that weren't in the fight towards my objective, forcing me to divide my forces. His meltas did great work in taking out the Fire Prisms and some of the Wave Serpents. My Fire Dragons and marginal anti-tank did well, destroying Chimeras and such. I was able to get the infantry around his objective out of their tanks, then off of the table. (via tank shock). He did the same to me when I sent units to protect/contest my objective.
The game really came down to, I was able to Destroy his objective contester (a medusa) and he was unable to destroy mine (a Wave Serpent).
Outcome: I won 1-0.

Opponent week 6: Brian Sayman
Mission: Annihilation, Dawn of War
List: Imperial Guard Air Cavalry
-CCS, 4 meltas
-10 Veterans, 3 Meltas
-10 Veterans, 3 Meltas
-10 Veterans, 3 Meltas
-10 Veterans, 3 Meltas
-10 Veterans, 3 Meltas
-10 Veterans, 3 Meltas
-10 Psyker Battle Squad, Chimera
-10 Psyker Battle Squad, Chimera
-3 Vendettas
-2 Valkyries
-2 Valkyries

Battle: Brian decides to go first. He moves everything onto the Table, I do likewise, but slowly, as I am not afraid of his 1 unit of ranged firepower (The Vendettas). Due to Nightfight and the Eldars lack of light, I do nothing.
Brian, in turn 2, fires the vendettas at a Fire Prism, (That is 9 Lascannons) He removes the gun, and Immobilizes it.
In my turn I unload Fire Dragons at the Valkyries on his flanks. I stun one and remove the multi-laser from another, twice, with 10 meltaguns...ugh. I stun/shake 2 of 3 Vendettas.
Brians vendetta whiffs in his turn, he kills 2 Fire Dragons with Multiple Rocket Pods and then attempts a "Weaken Resolve" with the Psyker Battle squad. He perils (due to Runes of Warding) and loses 2 models.
In my turn, I destroy every Valkyrie and 2 of 3 Vendettas, and both Chimeras.
Outcome: Brian concedes defeat after he is left with no ranged firepower and 8 squads walking. While I am ahead in kill points.

The Mechdar go 2-0 against Mech Guard.

-Mike

No comments: