Wednesday, December 29, 2010

ICGL Footdar Games (Part 2)

Opponent week 5: Dave
Mission: Annihilation, Pitched Battle
List: Space Wolves (from memory)
-Wolf Lord w/Thunderwulf, Runic Armor, Wolf Amulet and Talisman, Wolf Claw, Storm Shield, Saga of the Warrior Born
-Wolf Lord w/Thunderwulf, Runic Armor, Wolf Amulet and Talisman, Thunderhammer, Storm Shield, Saga of the Bear
-Rune Priest w/Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
-9 Grey Hunters w/Melta, Fist, Standard, Rhino
-9 Grey Hunters w/Melta, Fist, Standard, Rhino
-5 Grey Hunters w/Melta, Razorback, Lascannon and Twin-Linked Plasma Gun
-5 Grey Hunters w/Melta, Razorback, Lascannon and Twin-Linked Plasma Gun
-15 Fenrisian Wolves
-6 Long fangs w/5 Missile Launchers
-6 Long fangs w/5 Missile Launchers

Battle: I won the roll to set up first and deployed in a bubble formation, but also covered most of my board edge to try to think out Daves forces across his deployment zone. He didn't bite and deployed mostly on his left side. I used Eldrad to redeploy across from him. Dave seized the Initiative and moved most everything forward. The Long fangs shot my avatar, doing 3 wounds to him and some frag missiles, killing about 4 Dire Avengers.
I responded by pinning one long fangs squad and killing 3 of another, which ran off the board.
I was able to start putting D-Cannon hits on Rhinos and such, damaging them.
The Wolf lords w/wolves hit my lines turn 2. They roll poorly and coupled with defend on the Avengers keep most of my side alive (I only lost by 1). A rhino tank shocked a unit of my guardians off the board...
The game devolved into 2 parts, a main melee featuring 2 wolf lords and the fenrisian wolves and a short ranged shooting contest where my guardians, D-cannons, Rangers, and Reapers killed 2 Rhinos, 2 Grey Hunter Squads, a Razorback and the Rune Priest taking no casualties in return. In the LONG combat, I was able to kill the Thunderhammer wolf lord (under weight of Dice and Doom) and all the fenrisian wolves. In return, the Warrior Born Wolf Lord killed the guardian Storm Squad, Both Dire Avenger squads, Harlequins, and Striking Scorpions. (HOLY SHIT) Thankfully, I had already done enough damage, the game ended turn 5.
Outcome: I win 9-7

Opponent week 8: Tim Horvath (Gramps) (Editors note: "Gramps" is younger than me)
Mission: Seize Ground (5 Objectives), Pitched Battle
List: Space Marines
-Shrike
-Librarian w/Null Zone, Avenger
-10 Tactical Marines w/Lascannon, Flamer, Rhino
-10 Tactical Marines w/Multi-melta, Melta, Combi-Melta, Rhino
-10 Assault Marines w/Powerfist
-10 Assault Terminators w/1 Lightning Claw, 9 Thunderhammer & Storm Shield
-10 Assault Terminators w/1 Lightning Claw, 9 Thunderhammer & Storm Shield
-Predator w/Heavy Bolter Sponsons
-Predator w/Heavy Bolter Sponsons
-Predator w/Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Battle: I deployed first, centrally to about 3 objectives. (they were laid out one each quarter, one in center) Standard blob formation, Dark reapers on right, Storm Guardians on left, Scorpions outflanking. Dire Avengers Bubblewrapping a right board outflank.
In my first turn, I move some things forward and fortune the D-Cannons. The reaper exarch goes to work and kills a combat squad w/Lascannon and a terminator.
In gramps first turn, the dakka preds open up on the Storm guardians who go to ground and only a few die. Everything else rushes forward. The Terminators assault the harlequins. The harlequins kill 3, lose 4 and stay. In turn 2 my scorpions arrive and attempt to assault the left most dakka pred, but are just out. The Fire dragons destroy a rhino. The other rhino is destroyed by D cannon fire. The avatar joins the harlequin assault and wipes the terminators.
The other termies charge and destroy the rangers, Shrike and Friends arrive, outflank and kill all of the dire avengers, who break off the table. Terminators charge the D-Cannons, the dakka preds kill 2 non-exarch dark reapers.
Eldrad dooms the Librarian (who keeps null zoning) and he is killed by the storm guardians.
The Avatar and Eldrad charge + beat down Thunderhammer and Storm shield terminators.
At the End of turn 5, gramps only has an immobilized predator left.

Outcome: Victory for footdar

2 comments:

Gramps said...

You played a good game Mike. And though it was only a 1-0 win, you had me pretty soundly beaten. Though, I must say, I had the most unfortunate dice rolls at the worst times. Fleeting for 2, when I need a 3. Immobilizing 2 vehicles on 2 tries.

That freaking avatar curb stomped my TH/SS termies. haha.

Hopefully we can get a rematch in the final 4.

Saint Omerville said...

Gramps, very likely. I think it will be me, you, Dameon, and a random, unless someone pulls out a ton of wins...

-Mike