Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Inner Circle Grand Tournament (IGCT)

The ICGT was held on July 31st, 2010. 1850.
I used the same 1850 foot list that I had been practicing with.

4 rounds, without further ado.

Round 1, Opponent Tim Miller, Vulkan Marines
Mission: Dawn of War Annihilation (With VPs)

Tim brought Vulkan Marines with him. (List from memory)
Vulkan
5 TH&SS Terminators
5 Sternguard, w/2 Combi-Meltas
10 tacticals w/MM, ?, Rhino
10 tacticals w/MM, ?, Rhino
10 tacticals w/lascannon, ?
Land Raider Redeemer
Land Raider
Whirlwind

I won the roll off and chose to go first, I set up 2 combat squads, as did Tim.
Starting off, I turboboost my bikes to every 1/3 section of the table edge, expecting the Land Raider rush. Everything else moves on and runs forward. Tim moved all of his stuff on, but did not pop smoke on his land raiders, choosing to fire instead.
My army is designed to destroy ad ransack Mech armies. His land raiders died early, his whirlwinds and Rhinos after that. Once his mobility was done, it was just a matter of cleaning up the board with my superior firepower.

Round 2, Leigh Brady (Space Marines)
Seize ground, 5 objectives, pitched battle.

Leigh's list.
Librarian w/Gate and Null Zone
10 TH&SS Termies
5 Tactical Marines in Twin Las Razorback x4
2 Rifleman Dreads
3 Typhoon Land Speeders
2 Dakka Preds

Leigh is a member of my gaming club, you may recognize him and his list from the MANY practice games we played to get ready for this tournament. I could literally not think of a worse matchup for him to face.
In any case, he castled in one corner, I went first and hit him with the ol' beltway traffic jam. (Immobilizing or wrecking front transports), I killed the speeders , smoked the infantry waves that came. Not a close game, but we realized that when we started.

Round 3, Nathan Milakovich, Take and Hold (Table quarters), Spearhead
Nathan brought Blood Angels

Mephiston
Librarian w/Shield and Sword
6 Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Razorback w/Twin-Assault Cannons
6 Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Razorback w/Twin-Assault Cannons
5 Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Razorback w/Twin-Assault Cannons
7 Death Company w/ powerfist, Rhino
Chaplain
Sanguinary Priest
2 land Speeders w/multi-melta
Baal Predator w/AC, HB Sponsons
Vindicator
Vindicator

I lose this roll-off I believe.
Nate deploys first in a horseshoe of vehicles.
I deploy in waves of firepower.
I took some big casualties from the Vindicators early, (like 9 marines), but they were both dead on my first turn. I was able to cripple his mobility early on, but that came at the cost of letting Mephiston roam free. Mephiston killed a good 20-35 marines before finally being gunned down by high strength AP2, weapons.
In the end, we each had 2 table quarters, the tie-breaker went to Victory Points (which I had by a good margin)

Round 4, Opponent: Vaden Ball (the Hobbybreaker)
Mission: Recon (Get scoring units across the table), Pitched Battle
Vaden brought Space Marines (List from memory)

Pedro
Captain on Bike
Full Bike squad w/2 melta, fist, multi-melta
5 Bike squad
Command Squad 2 Plasma, 2 Melta, Rhino
Sternguard in Rhino
5 TH&SS Termies in a Land Raider
2 Land speeders MM

I win the roll-off and deploy, Vaden reserves everything.

I start my first two turns moving forward and running. On my turn 2 my bikes turboboosted towards his deployment line, anticipating a vehicle/bike rush.
Vaden rolled very well for reserves, getting everything except for 2 units. (commander and bikes and a land speeder) I foolishly moved my bikes too close to his deployment zone and was assaulted by TH& SS Termies. His bikes turboboosted down my left flank.
This mission was a uphill battle for me, because I had no mobility. Vaden was able to intercept units very well. I had a very difficult time in my shooting phase, there was one turn where I did not inflict a single wound or damaging result. (making that 3 turns of the game of ineffective firepower) I conceded in turn 6.

So, the foot angels went 3-1, I made a critical error in my last game, other than that I think I did well.

This tournament brings me to 74W 27L 20D.

-Mike

No comments: