Monday, April 18, 2011

Thinking of Vegas

The Throne of Skulls tournament (held in Las Vegas) is about 2 months away.
I have had this in the back of my mind for a while, as the date always appeared to be so far away.

I have been thinking about what codex to use. I own the following armies.

-Blood Angels
-Imperial Guard
-Chaos Space Marines (Alpha Legion)
-Eldar (Iyanden)
-Chaos Daemons
-Sisters of Battle (Order of our Martyred Lady)
-Grey Knights

I imagine that a GW event will only allow full painted armies. This leaves out Chaos Space Marines (who aren't even fully assembled), Daemons, and Grey Knights. I do not want to take Sisters because I do not feel that they are a competitive codex. (I will post a battle report to showcase this soon)
I have two types of Eldar; Mechanized and Foot. I do not think either are a good choice at 1500.

This leaves Blood Angels and Imperial Guard. I made lists for each:

Blood Angels 1500

Mephiston
5 Assault Marines w/Meltagun, Lightning Claw
Rhino
5 Assault Marines w/Meltagun, Lightning Claw
Rhino
5 Assault Marines w/Meltagun, Power Weapon, Infernus Pistol
Rhino
5 Assault Marines w/Meltagun, Power Weapon, Infernus Pistol
Rhino
5 Assault Marines w/Flamer
Razorback w/Lascannon and Twin-Linked Plasma Gun
Sanguinary Priest w/Combi-Melta, Lightning Claw
Sanguinary Priest w/Combi-Melta, Lightning Claw
5 Devastators w/4 Missile Launchers
Razorback w/Lascannon and Twin-Linked Plasma Gun
5 Devastators w/4 Missile Launchers


Imperial Guard

Company Command Squad w/3 Plasma Guns
Chimera w/Heavy Flamer
10 Veterans w/3 Meltaguns
Chimera w/Heavy Flamer
Platoon Command Squad w/3 Flamers
Chimera w/Heavy Flamer
Infantry Squad w/Autocannon, Flamer
Chimera w/Heavy Bolter
Infantry Squad w/Autocannon, Flamer
Chimera w/Heavy Bolter
Special Weapons Squad w/3 Meltaguns
20 Conscripts
Valkyrie w/Multiple Rocket Pods
Vendetta
Vendetta
Manticore
Manticore

I am leaning more towards the guard because I think it is a more balanced list. I feel I can make the Angels more balanced by removing Mephiston, adding a Librarian w/Shield and Sword and including 3 MM Attack Bikes. Do any of my 3 or 4 readers have any thoughts?

-Mike

7 comments:

Gramps said...

If I recall, Throne of Skulls has some odd rules? I can't remember what specifically.

Anyhow, between the two, I would say go with the IG. I think you are going to see a decent amount of GK players and I think initiative 6 Force weapons are going to be pretty tough for your ASM to beat.

Curious, are your GK's completely unpainted, or are you just missing a handful of things/bodies?

Saint Omerville said...

Grey Knights are completely unpainted AND I am missing a lot of things; henchmen mostly.

I am actually considering selling my Grey Knights.

-Mike

Unknown said...

It's a very tough decision. I would say BA for several reasons.
1. Assault and Shooting Capabilities
2. Psy Defense
3. More mobile

Dameon Green said...

Troop heavy armies will prob win you the day as GW seems to favor objective missions...

However from reading the packet earlier in the year it seem to suggest non-standard cookie cutter armies would be favored over their "standard" brethren...
I only say that because EVERYONE who plays BA takes "Fisty" and spam is king

Psybilliah said...

at the Colonial there were at least 6 mephistons present out of 50 players. I think the IG would do better out of the 2, but then again I suck so you shouldnt listen to me.

Saint Omerville said...

So the consensus is Blood Angels, but remove Mephiston and replace him with a Librarian and 3 Attack Bikes.

Psybillah: Germantown is not far from me, do we know each other?

-Mike

Psybilliah said...

Mike,
We have probably met. I set up the DW team tourney with Marc. I play at DW pretty regularly. Shoot me a line and we can set up a game.